Monday, September 21, 2009

IS IT ME, OR ARE OTHERS AMAZED AS WELL?

I am continually amazed at present day education. What has happened to 'reading, writing, arithmetic,.......and, spelling? Especially with cashiers around twenty something. For instance, if my bill comes to $16.28 & I hand over $20.03, it throws the cashier into a tizzy if a calculator is not at hand. They are completely bumfuzzled & can't make change.

L
ast week I decided to open a checking account at a local bank because I bank @a federal credit union out of state. Having a local account keeps me from going to the ATM when I need to pay for service rendered locally. As I sit down to open the account, the bank employee gets off to a fumbling start, because she doesn't remember the password to open the computer. 'Excuse me, I'll be right back' she says as she leaves her desk to get the information. She returns and we continue with our paperwork. 'I'd also like to rent a safety deposit box while I'm here'......'Um, okay, I'll have to get Jennifer to help you with that'. 'OK, that's fine, are you in training'? I ask her. 'Oh no, I've been here quite a while, I just haven't done the safety deposit box deal yet'. We continue on & I pick out my style of checks, & endorse the check I'm using as my initial deposit. She continues to have problems with the information she is entering into the computer. Twenty minutes go by & she is delighted with herself. 'Okay, Ms. King, I think we are finished with opening your account' she says as she slides the check register towards me. 'Um, could you fill this out for me, my husband handles our money, & I've never filled one of these check book thingy's out before'.........true story. Guess I'll just keep a minimal amount of monies in that bank. I'm sure that I could get a job there if I ever need to go back to work!

No comments: