Saturday, November 21, 2009

SECOND EPIPHANY

Watching DR. PHIL this week, I had my second epiphany: regarding sarcasm as the lowest form of humor.... That is me for the most part of my humor. I have known for a long time that I do not have 'empathy', and I think it stems from my own childhood & upbringing. How in the world could I relate to empathy, unconditional love, and all that goes along with family? I masked everything. So, the mask is what I was most comfortable with most of my adult life. I'm not wearing a 'mask' anymore. I am still very blunt. I speak when I should keep my mouth shut, however, what I speak, is only thoughts amongst others that have discretion) and I apologize for that........I am not sure if I will ever correct my faults......So just put up with me.................Or Not.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ditto to everything you say. I could not have said it better and I hate the way I talk, but there doesn't seem to be any change forthcoming. I prayed for Divine intervention for a year or so, but I'm sure God must have more important issues to deal with than my sarcastic and yes, sarcastically humorous (I can keep them rolling in the isle if I need to)ass.. Always remember, we got tough because that's what we had to do to survive. We are GOOD people with hearts full of unconditional love (proven over and over)that make us cry at the drop of a hat (that would be you, dear sister) or stand up for an underdog (my forte). But, my gosh ... why don't I stop cussing??? That's the worst! I love you anyway

Maryellen said...

I can really relate to this post. I was sarcastic most of my life, until my daughter informed me that it was offensive to her daughter, my Grandaughter. I didn't understand why.

I grew up with sarcastic humor. It was acceptable in the 1940's and 50's and quite common.

St. James wrote about the tongue (who can tame it, he queried) Well, I found out God can and He did for me, though I sometimes still THINK that way, a count to ten squelches the thought from becoming words that cut and wound.

God knows your heart, and I wish people would just put up with us as we are. My generation didn't grow up with unconditional love. We were loved if we behaved.....at least that what it felt like. Right?