Saturday, October 24, 2009

Do You Have 'Repeat Customers?'

The other day I decided to 'drop off' my comforter & pillow shams for a washing. I had seen an advertisement 'Drop Off Cleaning' from the street a few weeks earlier. & remembered the location. I enter the building, & there were about 30 machines in site and only one person using said machines. The premises had a less than a favorable odor, the trash cans were full, & only one patron in sight. I approached the counter & before I could speak, the woman behind the counter states 'over there, you go over there to wash big'....pointing to some machines. 'Excuse me, don't you have a 'drop off service' ?

'Oh ya, we have drop off service, you want drop off service?' 'Yes, please. I want this comforter & pillow shams washed' 'OK, you pick up tomorrow @6 o'clock. 'Six o clock? It is not even noon, how long does it take to wash'? 'OK, for you, I will have ready @ 10 o'clock....OK, good, thanks. As I turn to leave, she says 'you pay first'! Okay....I hand her my debit card.......'No, I don't take...only cash' so I only have $10........'OK, I take ten & you bring $10. tomorrow'....okay.

Next morning, (closer to noon), I return. The same trash cans are still full, the building still stinks & miss personality is still behind the counter.

Hi, I am Ms. King....here to pick up my comforter (I see it behind the counter). 'Yes, I need you ticket', so I look for it, to no avail..... sorry, I don't have my ticket.. 'I need ticket'.....'Don't you remember me?, I was just here............'yes, I remember, but I need you ticket.. (OMG! are you kidding me)........no, she wasn't, she didn't want to budge.....we went back & forth for @least 5 minutes.................'My God! remember, I still owe you $10.? 'Yes, but I need you ticket...... I just glared @her...'OK, let me see you drivers license' I hand it to her, she copies down my # and hands it back. 'You need to sign here' she says as she slides the ticket towards me. My signature is illegible, & looks like I'm scratching something out as I sign. She just stares at me & doesn't turn to get my comforter. Without speaking, I reach for my wallet, show her my signature on my DL, & then she handed over my comforter.

'Do you have much repeat business? I asked....she didn't even get the question, but the one & only man customer got it & roared!

No comments: