Monday, May 4, 2009

Common Sense Sometimes Just Disappears


Just sent Sindi a note inquiring about her 49th birthday that just passed last week, and had a flashback to my 49th.

Looking back, who was that dumbass? At the time, I had fallen head over heels in love with a Chamoru (native of guam) a year or so before my 49th. He was my Julio Iglesias, & I was his Queen of effing Sheba. After his many trips to Oklahoma, and my many trips to Micronesia, I made this brilliant decision (with plenty of persuasion on his part), to re-locate to this tiny island in the middle of the Pacific. Throwing caution to the wind, leaving a great job I'd held for nearly 15 years, my beautiful home, my adult daughter, friends, and all that was familiar, my mind was made up. In preparation, I attended & graduated from a local Travel Agent's School, took Japanese lessons, pulled the monies from my 401K, and purchased my airfare one month after turning 49.

I received a lot of advice from friends, some positive, some negative, and some blatantly stating 'You have lost your ever lovin mind'! Turns out they were all right. There I was, very pretty, very thin, and, very stoooopid, only I didn't recognize the stupid part at the time.

Regrets? yes, some. Amends? yes, I made several. Happy times? about 75/25.

I stayed eleven years and loved the island life, never got 'rock fever', and would still be there if it was just a little closer. Julio & I went our separate ways, but he will never leave my heart, which may cause some to wonder about my ever lovin mind, however, I HAVE made some strides in the common sense department....moshi, moshi, & domo arrigato,Ohioyu, & konichiwa is about all the Japanese I remember, but my geography & airport destination icons are still intact. sayonara, Julio ni guahan

No comments: