Friday, May 22, 2009

A Gardener, I Am Not!

I have been spoiled most of my adult life when it comes to yard work and home maintenance. I do not like being 'responsible' for either one. Since retiring and moving to the countryside, both issues are a pain in my ass. Being in Property Management afforded me the opportunity and LUXURY of sending my 'maintenance men' to my home and 'fix' whatever was broken, or, manicure my lawn and flower gardens, at a whim. The same continued when I moved to Guam, and, again when I continued to manage The Lodge @Tiburon'. Now, it is a few years later, and here I am, sitting on two acres.........with no maintenance man to direct, no husband to help, no significant other, just me..........and, my Rileigh Shea! She loves to 'help her taotao out in the yard'. She will do anything to be outdoors. Today we planted a container of 'perennial wild flowers'....love, love, love wildflowers.....reminds me of living on the farm & going out into the pasture on summer days to pick 'bluebells', and other assorted wildflowers......stayed gone for hours.

I have planted a few beautiful trees in the past couple of weeks......a couple of huge weeping willows, a plum, and a 12' fountain cherry......watering, is another fun chore.............my garden hose won't reach one of them, so, it is a big deal for Rileigh to fill my pail over & over in order to water this tree. Maintenance Men, where are you? Speaking of maintenance men, my 'head maintenance man' from the Tiburon Lodge called me today to say 'hello', and pass along good thoughts'....thanks, Armando. Employment in Glorious California is not looking so glorious. He has job security, but said it is getting noticeably worse in his area. I had no answers for him. I have few for myself. This recession is pretty scary. Where is my BIG Stimulous Check!

No comments: